Invitation to Follow Jesus
The Good News of Jesus has three foundational truths:
- Grace. God created you to be perfect, in God’s own image. We fall so far short of who we were created to be, but God still loves you exactly as you are, and desires a relationship with you. God loves us so much that Jesus gave his life on the cross to pay the price for our sin, and Jesus promises that we can have an eternal life if we put our trust in Him.
- Healing. The good news does not end there! God doesn’t just forgive us, and then leave us broken. God invites us to follow Jesus to be restored, to become the people God created us to be, living as part of the Kingdom of God (the world under God’s good rule).
- Purpose. God is constantly at work to restore people and restore all of creation, and God has a purpose for your life in this plan! The Holy Spirit gives us gifts, passions and placement to live into God’s purpose to restore the world.
We respond to this good news in three basic ways:
- Worship. We accept God’s love and grace, recognize where we fall short, and pledge our lives to follow Him (see Romans 12:1-2).
- Discipleship. We practice habits of faith—called “spiritual disciplines”—that help us overcome our broken, sinful habits. In the process, the Holy Spirit restores our souls (see Matthew 11:29).
- Mission. We live to share the love and the good news of a God who loves us as we are, and calls us to become as we were created to be (see Matthew 28:19-20).
These three are a process, a journey of faith. At Westminster, we remember these three with the catchphrase “Know Christ, Grow in Christ, and Go in Christ!”
The Church is the community of people who know Christ, who are growing in Christ, and who go in Christ to the world. Jesus spent most of his earthly ministry creating this community of disciples, and he commissioned his disciples to make other disciples who will know Christ, grow in Christ, and go in Christ (see Matthew 28:19-20). Some people seem to think they can be Christians without church, but the Church is God’s plan for the healing of the world.
At Westminster, we have many opportunities for worship [link to worship], discipleship [link to discipleship main page or life groups main page], and mission [link to mission]. We invite you to join us in our services, in our life groups and Bible studies, and in our mission efforts. We would love to be a part of your spiritual journey!
The first step is to put your trust in Jesus. To recognize that you fall short of who you were created to be, and to trust that God still loves you. To realize that God loves you enough to die for our brokenness, and to invite you to live a new life in Christ. And to choose to respond by placing your trust in Jesus.
If you would like to speak with a pastor about taking the next step in your spiritual journey, please call us at 541-773-8274.